Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Finding Hope in the Middle of Despair

Finding Hope in the Middle of Despair

For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving.
1 Timothy 4:4 NIV

In two days many of us will celebrate Thanksgiving with our family and friends, but for some there is no Thanksgiving. While we get together and eat out fill of scrumptious goodies, many will go hungry.

My message today is about finding hope in the middle of despair. I had almost forgot the true meaning of Thanksgiving until the Lord brought a tiny furball into my life.

My daughter and grandson found a kitten and brought her home. We already have a puppy and two parakeets, we didn't need another mouth to feed.

My husband I contemplated what we should do. We knew we couldn't take care of this little furball. We barely make ends meet.

Since it was the weekend we couldn't take her any place, so she stayed and the Lord placed the spirit of Thanksgiving on my husband's heart.

Today is day two of the little furball who came for a visit and melted our hearts.

Thanksgiving isn't about how much food we eat, how good the food is or how we can outdo our family's every year. Thanksgiving is about "giving". It's about finding hope in the middle of despair.

When you sit down at the dinner table with your family, what will you be thankful for?  Who will you give thanks to?

Will you remember the homeless person under the bridge whose only meal might be turkey and the trimmings?

Will you find hope in the middle if despair?

Whether your hope comes in the form of an abandoned kitten or a phone call from a loved one, remember there is hope in the middle of despair.




6 comments:

The Desert Rocks said...

Always love your posts! I'm first again. Yipee!
Your Kitty picture is adorable. Did you name furball yet? Maybe Timothy? You could call him Little Timmy. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Debra Ann Elliott said...

Thanks. It's a girl. Her name is Princess Hope.

Rita's Random Ramblings said...

Love the name Precious Hope! I am so thankful because of Him we can always find hope, even in the midst of despair! Thanks for the Blessing!!

jabelfield said...

Your post filled me with deep warmth, Debra. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK, but not a day goes by when I'm not 100% grateful for what I have in my life. We're just about as stoney broke as they come, but to me, being rich is in no way measured in monetary terms. Richness is appreaciating what you've got :)
Nice post.

Debra Ann Elliott said...

Thanks for the heartfelt comments.

Tina Russo Radcliffe said...

Oh my this is so sweet. I really had a low tolerance for cats until I found Charlie in the middle of winter, literally up a tree. The Lord knew that we needed each other :) I love happily ever after.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates