Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How Do I Love Thee?


 I have the pleasure this week of writing on the subject of love for the Christian Writers.com February blog chain on the subject of love. Here is my take on the subject. To read more just click on the links to the right listed under christianwriters.com blog chain.



The most famous sonnet in the world was written by Elizabeth Barret Browning to her great love Robert Browning.
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.


This is a beautiful sonnet and I have chosen to write about the Love of Jesus using the stanza's. 


How do I love thee Jesus? Let me count the ways....



1. I love Jesus to the depth, breadth and height my soul can reach.... 
Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:39 NIV




2. I love thee Jesus to the level of everyday's most quiet need...
By this we shall come to know (perceive, recognize, and understand) that we are of the Truth, and can reassure (quiet, conciliate, and pacify) our hearts in His presence.  I John 3:19 AMP 




 3. I love thee Jesus freely, as men strive for Right...
Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion. Philippians 2:1 NIV


 4. I love thee Jesus purely, as they turn from Praise...
 I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your unfailing love and your faithfulness, for you have so exalted your solemn decree that it surpasses your fame. Psalms 138:2 NIV


5. I love thee Jesus with a passion put to use in my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith...
 The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness." Jeremiah 31:3 NIV


6. I love thee Jesus with a love I seemed to lose with my lost saints...
 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. I Corinthians 13:8 NIV



7. I love thee Jesus with the breath, smiles, tears, of all my life!
Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Psalms 106:1 NIV

8. and, if God choose, I shall but love thee Jesus better after death...
 I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself. Psalms 89:2 NIV


Jesus loved us unconditionally, without question. He died on the cross for our sins, so we could live.
How do I love thee Jesus? With every fiber of my being.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. I Corinthians 13:13 NIV








15 comments:

lindayezak said...

How beautiful, Debra! You put a lot of work into that post and created some lovely thoughts. Thanks for sharing with us!

TraciB said...

Wonderful way to incorporate a well-known poem into a post about loving Jesus. Welcome to the chain, Debra; great first post!

breathedeeply.org said...

I love Elizabeth Barret Browning! What a lovely way to start the morning by reading her poem followed by your gentle thoughts on Jesus' pure and perfect love. Thank you. :)

Sheila said...

One of those coincidences that often happen--my blog Wednesday was to my husband and I started to end it with this poem. :) Love the poem and love how you reference it to Jesus!

jayedee said...

how beautiful! this brings a lovely start to my day and gives me much to think about as i go about the business of daily life! thank you for your thoughts!

Dawn said...

Following you back! Thanks for following =)

Dawn

Victor Travison said...

Debra, what I do for classic sci-fi, you do for classic poetry. Elizabeth Barret Browning was a gifted poet, but you did a beautiful job turning it around into love for Jesus. Well done, good and faithful servant!

~ VT

lynnmosher said...

What a beautiful post, Debra! I love how you did this. Blessings to you!

Sarah said...

Amazing post, Debra! Beautiful how you described your love for Jesus. So glad to have you a part of the chain!

E G Lewis said...

Welcome to the Blog Chain. What a great way to start with this super post. Very enjoyable.
Peace and Blessings

Tracy Krauss said...

What a beautiful expansion on Brownings classic poem. My favorite 'love' poem is sonnet 116 by Shakespeare which begins 'let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments ..."

Adam Collings said...

What a creative approach Debra.
I have been inspired this morning by your love sonnet to Jesus. Thankyou.

Chris Perdue said...

I like the way you used that sonnet to give such a great description of God's love and your love for God.

Nona King said...

Wow! Such a beautiful approach to a deeply fulfilling poem. I have always loved the Browning poem, and now I see it on a completely different level. Thank you for this.

Naomi Musch said...

Hi Debra, I'm doing some catch-up on the CW blog chain. I must say, you have a beautiful blog, and I love the focus of your topics! I'm going to follow you. As to this post, what a thought-provoking look at such a lovely poem. Very captivating!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!