Saturday, February 19, 2011

God's Treasure Box


"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal."But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and stealFor where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21 NIV

My almost seven year old grandson is the first grade special class and loves school, but like most kids can't wait until Friday. Friday is popcorn day, the last day of the school week and treasure box day. If their attendance for the week is perfect and they don't sad faces his teacher rewards his class with a trip to the treasure box on Friday's. My grandson loves this part of Friday. It's his favorite thing to do. He usually picks some small trinket, but yesterday he surprised me.

He didn't pick anything out of the treasure box for himself, he got something for his mom. He brought home a Hello Kitty watch for her. He was being unselfish and thinking about his mommy instead of himself when he got his treasure. I thought about his action and wondered are we unselfish with our treasures God has given us? Do we choose the right treasure's out of His treasure box?

Inside God's treasure box is our reward for faithful service. Many trinkets lie inside. Inside the treasure box is love, hope and prosperity. God gives us love, but not to stow up. We need to give our love back unselfishly without question. He offers us hope. When we choose hope, we need to give it to other's who may need it more. The last treasure inside our box is prosperity. God wants us to prosper, but we can't if we hold onto love and hope. Give your treasure's freely to others. God will give back what you gave away with more treasure than you can ever imagine.

16 comments:

SarahAngel88 said...

That's a really good point you make. I'm sure most people would like to think they too are unselfish, but when it comes to giving back, not everyone does.

jayedee said...

God's treasure box...i love it! thank you for this gentle reminder!

The Desert Rocks said...

A beautiful post. I love it!

Bethe77 said...

I love this post of the treasure box! Made me stop and think what am I wasting of Gods treasure. Thank you. Came through on Surfing Saturday blog hop.

shelly said...

Pretty blog page. Very meaningful post, too.

melody-mae said...

this was such a great post today. I love that your grandson picked a treasure for his Mom too!

April said...

How sweet! Following you back from

Manic Monday Mixer

Scott Fields said...

Short, concise, and beautifully illustrated (just like the awesome graphic at the top of your page here!). This is a fantastic parallel for the gifts God offers us.

Thanks for the post!

- Scott

May said...

Such truth in your words and so beautifully put. My most favorite line?

When we choose hope, we need to give it to other's who may need it more.

No. 7 said...

Lovely! What a special little boy, to have chosen a treasure for his mom.

angela @ tiaras-and-trucks said...

What a sweet little guy! He must be getting a wonderful example at home to think of someone else instead of himself like that.

Terry said...

I love this post...and it makes me think about our gifts as writers. I need to be sure to use this "gift" ( I do say that lightly) to edify. He gave me a love for it, a desire for it, and at least a few people enjoy reading it, so I should be using it appropriately. I have other treasures from the box as well...thanks so much for these thoughts!

Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy said...

Very, very sweet. This reminds me of the scholastic book fair that used to come to my school every year or so. The book fair was such a huge deal for me. I'd save up my dollars and cents until the big day. I would spend so much time choosing just the right thing for myself, but I'd always love bringing something home for my mom, dad, or big sister as well. Children are such perfect little wonders.

Thanks so much for linking up! This made me smile.

marcialoyd said...

How sweet. What a selfless little guy. Also, the words you shared are so true.Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

By Word of Mouth Musings said...

She is raising him right ;)
So special when we see such wonderful selfless traits in young children, really gives us hope in this day and age! Loved reading this - thank you!

By Word of Mouth Musings said...

Received your message - what a blessing you are! He sounds like a very sweet little boy and so lucky to have so many people around him who love him and are raising him!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!