Friday, March 25, 2011

Fiction Friday: Kentucky Rain


This week's FF is hosted by the talented Catrina@ Speak to the Mountain

Come join her for great reading and link up your own fiction.



For today's FF I am switching gears. Being a writer, ideas are always swirling in my head. This is one of those ideas and my current YA which is told in 1st person POV.



'Kentucky Rain' is the story of 15 year old Rain Waters. Rain and her family live in the Appalachian Mountains of Kentucky. Her  family is dirt poor, but happy until tragedy strikes on Rain's fifteenth birthday changing the only life she's ever known.

 
Rain, Rain the cool Appalachian night breeze whispered my name. A strong scent of corn whiskey floated into my bedroom window and eerie sounds of dry flies echoed throughout the pine trees.
Today was my fifteenth birthday. I didn't feel fifteen or even look it. I was too tall, too lanky and flat chested. Heck, I hadn't even got my monthly!
Granny Dodd seemed to think that was a blessing, but I thought it was a curse. I overheard her tell mommy, "May, don't you fret about Rain. At least them McCoy boys won't be buzzing 'round her like they do with that Hopkins girl Louella ."
I wanted to scream at my granny, "I want them buzzing around me!" Especially Flynn McCoy.
Flynn McCoy was three years older than me and the oldest McCoy boy. He was nothin' like his dumb grit brothers. Flynn was book red. He could cipher better then any folks in the hollar. Flynn was nearin as tall as me. All the McCoy's were black haired, 'cept Flynn. He was tow-headed and had the purttiest blue eyes I ever seen. Granny Dodd thought Flynn McCoy was a briggity britches. She said, “Reckon that Flynn McCoy be gettin' above his raisin' just cause he got some schoolin'.”
I hated Granny Dodd!
The dry flies finally quietened down. The only sound that flitted through the bedroom was Granny Dodd's loud snoring. Between her racket and my nerves, sleep wouldn't come none too soon.
I shifted my weight in the old pinewood bed I shared with my little sister Ruby and cut off the lamp. The room went dark, except for the gigantic full moon shining through our window. The hairs on the back of my neck prickled. I sensed things before they happened. Shivering down to my bones I snuggled deeper underneath mommy's double wedding ring quilt.
I closed my eyes, fell into a fitful sleep and dreamed of Flynn McCoy.

8 comments:

Catrina Bradley... said...

I love Rain's voice, and the dialect is great. I think you got the 15 year old attitude down pretty good too. Looking forward to more Kentucky Rain!

tipper said...

GREAT! Now I want to know what she's sensing : )

B. J. Robinson said...

I love her name, the site, and the writing style. I'm also a contributor to Hurray God. Congrats. Blessings, BJ Robinson

shelly said...

That was refreshing. I loved Rain's voice.

Jenna said...

love this. what a lovely character! so glad i came by on the trdc weekend linkup!

TexaGermaNadian said...

Beautiful! I love that you have Fiction Fridays, what a great idea :) THanks for linking up to the Storytellers blog hop, really glad you did. Now I have a good chance to look around your blog!

Sherri Ward said...

You have quite a talent! Loved this snippet of a story! Thanks for visiting my blog.

I AM Curly Locks said...

I dig it, you give a clear voice to this character....

Peace and Love,

Najeema Iman, I AM Curly Locks

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!