Friday, April 1, 2011

Fiction Friday Another Snippet from Kentucky Rain 04/01/11


Today's Fiction Friday is hosted by Julie Arduini: The Surrendered Scribe. Come join us for great fiction and link up!

Here is another snippet from my WIP Kentucky Rain:


Cock-a-doodle-doo . Our old banty rooster made his usual morning round outside my window. The pungent smells of country ham, red eye gravy and biscuits drifted into the bedroom.
Ruby had her legs thrown across mine and I couldn't budge. "Ruby I gotta go sumthin fierce, turn over.” I pushed her off me.
I eased out of bed, wrapped my quilt around my shoulders and padded across the cold, bare wooden floor. Granny Dodd was already up. Her bed was neatly made and her slop bucket emptied. I was tempted to use it, but knew better. She'd whup me good. Instead, I made my way to the outhouse.
Early morning dew was still fresh on the grass. Its dampness tickled my bare feet. Mommy's fresh worshed clothes hung on the line. The smell of lye soap mingled with the cool morning air. I hurried to the tilet and ran smack dab into Flynn McCoy.
A strong pair of arms grabbed me by the shoulders.
Whoa! Where's the far?”
F-lynn,” I stammered.
Mommy's quilt fell onto the damp grass. Thar I was in my night clothes standing within kissin' distance of Flynn McCoy. My face turned beet red and goosebumps popped out on my arms.
Mornin' Rain.”
I snatched up my quilt and hightailed myself straight to the tilet. I heard Flynn's laughter in the distance. What the hek was he doing heya this ahr? Flynn McCoy made me plumb flustered and I spent prit- near thirty minutes hiding in the outhouse.

5 comments:

Julie Arduini said...

Oh Debra you have such talent! You use the senses, description, imagery and dialogue so well. Great cliffhanger, too! Loved it. Thanks for participating in this week's FF!

Catrina Bradley... said...

I'm shivering - from the cold morning air and the anxiety. Oh, I want to read more!

http://livingatthewhiteheadszoo.blogspot.com/ said...

wow! Thanks for sharing. I'm visiting from the writer's club .

http://livingatthewhiteheadszoo.blogspot.com/ said...

Also now your newest follower =)

Jenna said...

LOVE. So glad to come here and read more about "F-lynn" and his girl Rain! <3

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates