Saturday, July 2, 2011

Swimming Lessons

Today's post for July NaBloPoMo is about swimming lessons.

I grew up in the sixties and my family couldn't afford the luxury of swimming lessons.

I must have been around ten when my dad bought a blue plastic 3 foot deep swimming pool. I thought I was
cool. I was all the rage with the neighbor kids because we were the only family with a pool. The only problem was I didn't know how to swim.

There in itself was a problem. I wanted to swim. I needed to swim, so my dad in all his wisdom taught
his ten year old daughter to swim.

He threw me in the water and told me to paddle. I sank and gulped for air, but he stood on the sidelines and
continued to encourage me to paddle.

I tried with all my little girl strength to coordinate my little arms and make them move, but I was a fish
out of water.

I sank again and felt something grab my arms. It was my dad. He hauled my up and sat me on the diving board. His voice was stearn.
"Baby Doll, he said to me. "If you want to learn to swim, you first must learn to float."

I just nodded. My lower lip treambled and I shivered. I just wanted to get out of the freezing water. To me it seemed like I'd been in there for eternity.

I finally did learn to swim after much insistance from my dad. Those were times I would never forget. I would
never forget my dad throwing me into the deep end and feeling like I would drown.

Those swimming lessons remind me of how we go through life trying to swim without learning to float first.We
go through life trying to swim through the deep end and wind up drowning. We have to learn to float
first. 

We have to keep our heads above the water. We have to take direction and not swim out to the deep without
knowing how to stay afloat.

Don't try to swim, if you can't stay afloat!

  




4 comments:

Stephanie said...

That's a good lesson to learn. I've always been likely to run before I can walk - or swim before I can float.

The Desert Rocks said...

Very cute, it is so nice that you had loving, patient parents so that now...you can do anything.
(Once you float that is....)

Sue Ann Bowling said...

My folks had me in swimming lessons (in Long Island Sound) when I was about 5. Eventually I became a Red Cross Water safety instructor, and taught a lot of kids to swim. But we always started out getting the kids to put their faces in shallow water and blow bubbles. And there are a very few, very lean kids (and adults) who just can't float without sculling.

Annie Boreson said...

What a great memory with your father! If we could just remind ourselves that staying afloat is a good analogy for life. We have to do that every day of our lives, with or without a cool pool! Thanks Debra Ann!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates