Monday, July 4, 2011

Swimming Upstream

 Salmon are funny amd mysterious creatures. They spend their entire lives trying to get back to the place they were born just so they can die...

 In some instances of my life I feel as if I am swimming upstream, traveling to the place of my birth only to die.

A person can spend years traveling upstream to get nowhere and at the end of the journey only find youself dying.

 It seems I've spent fifty years swimming upstream, going in one direction to get to the end of a journey that has taken over my life, consumed my waking hours.

 Swimming upstream really gets you nowhere in life. You can't spend an eternity fighting an opposite current because in life you aren't meant to go backwards.

Don't be a salmon swimming upstream to only die. Life is meant to be lived in the present. The past can't be relived, can't be rewound and can't be rethought.

Go where the current takes you.... 

6 comments:

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

And therein lies the trick, recognizing if you are heading somewhere or merely swimming upstream. Great food for thought. Love your new title.

The Desert Rocks said...

Cute. I love eating salmon!

Graeme said...

I like the analogy :-).

One thing they teach you in drowning (um - survival) school is 'if you fall into deep water, don't start trying to get to the surface. Stop and watch where the bubbles are going, then follow them'.

Does that mean the most important thing is to work out which way is 'upstream' before we start swimming? In this case, I'd say no. First swim. That gives you time to work out where you want to swim _to_.

And that's pretty much how we do it, no? First we work out the whole swimming thing (probably, as you say, upstream :-( ), and it's only later we get round to the whole 'working out why we're doing it' bit.

It's a bit like the old saw that says 'youth is wasted on the young'. Streams are too often wasted on those who either spend their time being carried by them, or waste their time trying to fight them. Witohut having decided why they're doing either :-).

Graeme Smith
www.graeme-smith.net - Writing the Bright Fantastic

Kelly garriott Waite said...

Neat post! My husband and I were transferred twice and we're not thrilled where the current has taken us. We're actually trying to move back home in a couple of years, and I don't view this as swimming against the current, but rather, correcting our path.

Elizabeth Young said...

An interesting post Debra, I'm not sure if you are writing about a physical thing, a spiritual thing, or both, but we all need to come to a place of rest within ourselves.

Annie Boreson said...

For whatever reason I like the simplicity of salmon. They have a purpose and they meet their goals. Maybe they don't have Pulitzer's on their mind, or much else beside the trip upstream, but I think they must be quite content...until I catch one on my hook. Thank you Debra for your insight.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates