Friday, September 16, 2011

Friday Fiction: Dance Lessons


This week's FF is hosted by Vonnie over @ My Back Door  Stop by and join the fun!
I've been away from FF for several months and it's good to be back. My contribution this week is a short story I am working on for a contest. I'll post parts each Friday.

DANCE LESSONS


I love to dance, but my feet don't. I have two left feet according to my best friend Susan. Susan is the

owner of the new dance studio that opened in our small community of Wilson Alabama. She invited me

for free lessons and since she was my best friend I couldn't refuse.

“Abby, it'll be fun.” She pleaded.

“Well, I don't know,” I pointed to my two left feet.

“Aww I was just kidding. Anyway, I hired a professional dance instructor from New York.”

“A professional? Wow! Alright, I'll come”

She flung her arms around my neck. “You're the best Abby.”

“We'll see,” I said as I pirouetted around my cramped living room.

Susan clapped as I glided across the room. “Bravo, bravo.”

I bowed in her direction and continued to twirl around, until I got dizzy.

“You OK?” Susan rushed over to me.

“Yeah, just a little lightheaded.”

“Come sit down on the sofa.”

“Really, I'm fine.” I brushed off her concern.

“What did the doctor say?”

The lighthearted mood turned somber.

“Dr. Owens said my white count was a little off kilter and I needed more aggressive treatment.”

Susan gasped at my matter-of-fact statement and the tears fell down her face.

“Oh, Abby. I didn't realize the cancer was back.”

“Don't!” I put my hand up to stop her words. “No tears, no feeling sorry for me, deal?”

She looked at me through tear stained eyelashes. “But....”

“No buts, deal?”

“I guess.”

I changed the subject, so Susan wouldn't dwell on my illness.

“So, tell me about this dance instructor from New York.”

She grabbed a couple soda's from the fridge and settled on the sofa next to me.

“His name is Owen Banks. He graduated from the Juilliard School.”

“So how did you snag him?”

“Actually, I didn't. He contacted me. His aunt lives here and told him about the studio.”

“Really. Who's his aunt?”

“Millie Jones.”

“No kidding!”

“I know. Small world. He used to spend his summers here.”

I lived in Wilson all my life and to save my soul couldn't place Owen Banks.

“I didn't even know Millie Jones had a nephew.”

“Me neither, until he phoned me.”

My curiosity was piqued and I wanted to know about Miss Millie's nephew.

“What's his story?”

“Well, it seems he tore ligament's in his knee and can't dance up to par for his dance troupe. Miss

Millie suggested he come stay with her to recuperate.”

“You hired him?”

“No, not formally. He's only helping out until he heals.”

“What's he like?”

“I'm not going to tell you. You'll just have to see for yourself tomorrow.”

I nodded. “I'll be there....with my dancing shoes on.”

Susan hugged me.

“You'll be there?

“Yes.”

“Promise?”

“I'll be there Susan. Anyway, I can't wait to meet your new dance instructor.”

****
 

5 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Good start. I'm looking forward to reading more.

The Desert Rocks said...

Wow a promising start with underlying heart-wrenching stuff to come. Sounds like it will be good!

Yvonne Blake said...

Ooooohhhh...I sense a romance!

Bluebell Books said...

love it.

:)

Bluebell Books said...

You’ve got superb talent in creative writing,
Keep it up.

Please check out short story slam week 10 prompt today.

It is great to write and entertain our children,
Don’t you agree?

Give it a try,
Let your beautiful imagination fly.

Best.
Happy Autumn!
xoxox

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!