Friday, September 16, 2011

The Voice on the Radio/Red Writing Hood

 
This weeks' Red Writing Hood prompt was: We all remember our first love – and our first heartbreak. Your assignment this week was to write a piece where you explore the first broken heart for your character – or for you.


The deep southern smooth voice blared through the county radio channel. I clenched the steering wheel, until my knuckles turned white. My palms began to sweat.

Twenty years...had been that long?

Johnny Ray Perkins....my first love was now a multi-platinum country music star. I remember the night he announced his big plans, it was also the night he broke my heart forever.

I reached to change the channel, but my fingers wouldn't move. I was drawn to his voice like a deer caught in headlights. He still had that affect. He could turn me into a spineless jelly fish.

My mind drifted back to senior prom and the night Johnny Ray said good-bye.

"Celia, I got a record deal." He said without hesitation. His voice didn't falter.

"You did what?"

"You heard me. I didn't stutter."

No he didn't. He had made himself perfectly clear. He was leaving Oak Grove and moving to Nashville. He was leaving me behind.

"What about us?" I pleaded.

"There is no us anymore Celia."

The tears gushed like a broken levy. Johnny Ray walked away and left me alone. I didn't run after him. I let him go. It was his loss.

I snapped back to reality when the car behind me blew it's horn.

I glanced at the diamond ring on my left hand. Johnny Ray Perkins...oh well, it's still your loss.and changed the radio station to hard rock...

6 comments:

Keena said...

oh boy!! I felt her pain!!!

Roxanne said...

what a jerk. I'm glad for the diamond ring at the end. it is his loss!

Galit Breen said...

His loss, indeed and go her with the ring!

Yvonne said...

Totally his loss! I hate Country music anyway. lol

dianddo said...

He lost a gem didn't he? Fame over love; you found out which one lasts longer.

Bluebell Books said...

you are such a creative soul.

rewrite a tale is cool.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!