Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Xenia (Show Some Hospitality Please)

Jenny Matlock

Today is Alphabe-Thursday and the letter today is 


For today's word I've chosen xenia...


Xenia (Greek: ξενία, xenía) is the Greek concept of hospitality, or generosity and courtesy shown to those who are far from home. It is often translated as "guest-friendship" (or "ritualized friendship") because the rituals of hospitality created and expressed a reciprocal relationship between guest and host.

Xenia consists of three basic rules:
1. The respect from host to guest. The host must be hospitable to the guest and provide them with food and drink and a bath, if required. It is not polite to ask questions until the guest has stated their needs.
2. The respect from guest to host. The guest must be courteous to their host and not be a burden.
3. The parting gift (xenion, ξεινήιον) from host to guest. The parting gift is to show the host's honor at receiving the guest.

Xenia what an awesome X word, unfortunately people don't celebrate the art of hospitality as was practiced when I was growing up in the sixties. I can remember sitting on my grandmother's front porch and living in the South you didn't meet a stranger.

You showed kindness to everyone. You practiced xenia. 
Today's society is in a rush, in a big hurry not to slow down. Hospitality is a dying form. With the way the world is today xenia needs to be revived. It needs a transfusion.... 

Even in the South hospitality is a dying breed. What ever happen to the Golden Rule? Did we shove it aside to make room for greed and hate?

Xenia (hospitality) can be revived with help from several scriptures in the bible.

 The Golden Rule: Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12

The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."  Mark 12:31 NIV

Do not forget or neglect or refuse to extend hospitality to strangers [in the brotherhood--being friendly, cordial, and gracious, sharing the comforts of your home and doing your part generously], for through it some have entertained angels without knowing it.  Hebrews 13:12 AMP

 The list goes on, because the bible is filled with verses on hospitality....

When you  start you day think about how you want to be treated and how you should treat others...

Show a lot of xenia





Don't forget to stop by  Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday this week and so some hospitality to all the great bloggers.


16 comments:

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

So interesting! Great post!!

nick said...

My word for the day now.

Judie said...

The south has become so cosmopolitan, and it is sometimes hard to even find a life-long southerner. I grew up in Atlanta, and people who moved from other areas of the country seemed a little alien to us.

This was a great "X" word!!

The Cello Strings said...

love your x-word, thoughtful post.

Karen S. said...

Oh my it is a great bit of information, very nicely done....Xcellent!!!!

Beverly Diehl said...

I've actually found great hospitality in the writers' community. :-)

I think that hospitality as you remember so fondly may be dying out because some guests too often treat their hosts as hotel management, "I'll be coming into town on XX date, can't wait to see you, do you think you can stock up on XX for me, oh, and I'll need to use your car a couple of days," no asking, no appreciation, no reciprocity... Not that I've done this when *I'm* a guest, but I think over time people get burned out by the rude ones.

The Desert Rocks said...

Sounds like a good name for a boutique hotel.

Sue said...

I think we need a little more xenia in the world today.

=)

homecomingbook said...

Interesting as my computer dictionary gives only the derived meaning (the effect of pollen on a seed!) Had to go to Webster's unabridged to find your meaning. And the entomology suggests it's closely linked to xenos, foreigner in Greek, and thus to xenophobia, fear, hatred or dislike of foreigners. Or xenotelepathy, the ability to connect with minds of another species. (Used in my sf.)

ellen b. said...

What a great choice for the letter X. Hospitality is a great gift and to be the recepient of it is wonderful.

Dazee Dreamer said...

Awesome word. I'm kind of enjoying what everyone is coming up with.

Liz said...

My favorite quote is "Live welcoming to all" by Mechtild of Magdeburg, a Christian mystic. I have it posted on my monitor at work. But I didn't know the word xenia. Thank you!

By the way, stop by my blog. You've won an award!
http://www.thewritingreader.com/blog/2011/09/29/its-a-double-play/

Cheryl D. said...

Great X word! You didn't even have to cheat.

Jenny said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful post!

I loved where you took this! I totally agree with you, too! It does seem that old-fashioned manners and hospitality has been going by the wayside.

I see more courteous, kind behavior here in blogland, then I sometimes do in real life!

Thank you for sharing this xcellent link for the letter X.

A+

Liz said...

Excellent word, and you're right, we've lost this art. I was thinking about this last night. The woman who has hosted our writing group for several years is moving out of town. It is a big loss for us. Not only is she a gracious hostess, but a wonderful mentor. She exemplified xenia.

Anonymous said...

Yesenia is equal to Xenia or Xena ^^

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates