Thursday, October 13, 2011

Caught Between Perfecton and Procrastination

 As NaNoWriMo approaches, my fear is going faster than I can keep up. I've participated two years and never finished. This is year three.

I want to cross the finish line with 50,000 words written but somehow I get caught between perfection and procrastination.


 You see, I'm a perfectionist. Everytime I write a paragraph I have to edit it. I can't help myself. The purpose of NaNoWriMo is is write 50,000 words in thirty days without stopping to edit. Can I approach the perfection hurdle without stopping? In all honesty I haven't a clue until I start writing.



 Another problem I face is procrastination. I am the world's worst procrastinator. I never finish what I start or I keep making excuses as to why I can't find the time to start.

As November 1st gets closer, I can feel the nerves inside me jump. My two writing enemies are getting ready to gang up on me.

 Don't let anyone tell you perfection and procrastination aren't a writer's worst nightmare...
These two can steal your writing mojo. I know. I've been there and hopefully this month won't find myself caught between perfection and procrastination...

It will be hard, so I just categorized myself this way...  

  
  I'm a perfect procrastinator....

5 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

I used to edit as I wrote, too. I couldn't imagine not doing it that way. But when my agent put a deadline on me, I had to write differently. I didn't reread anything until I was finished, and you know what? The story had a flow to it that was better than I could've hoped for. Thinks just played out in my mind and since I was fast drafting, I never had to stop and question when something had happened because it wasn't days or months ago that I wrote it. Seriously, you should try it. Cover your screen if you have to.

Michelle said...

I'm worried about Nano too. I'm a perfectionist like you. I have to edit as I write. I think Kelly has great advice. I'm going to cover my screen!

I'm also worried that I don't have 'enough' of a story. It's a new genre for me, and I'm going to write in 3rd person rather than 1st. I've never written in 3rd person before. I know how the story begins and how it ends...but the middle is killing me. I'm trying to make an outline before the first and I think I'm over thinking everything.

Anyone who is writing for Nano...I need writing buddies: Michellekp

Michelle
www.michelle-pickett.com

Beverly Diehl said...

It can be tremendously freeing to allow yourself to write crap. Just say it out loud, "I'm going to allow myself to write crap."

I'm not doing NaNo because I am editing a MS I just finished - 400 pages & I need to trim at least 50 off. Plus I know it's horribly bloated in many places - DESPITE the fact that I edited as I wrote. So, I really didn't save any time, just slowed myself down.

The last few chapters where I tried to stop doing it went much faster. Yes, they were crap - but FIXABLE crap. :-)

Linda H. said...

I completely understand everything you are saying. I am perfectionist and procrastinator as well. It is an odd combo and just enough to make one want to pull their hair out. But remember the saying...the third time's a charm. This will be the year you finish! You can do it! (ok...that's my pep talk...now back to million things I've pushed off while I read blog posts:-)

Good luck!

Tracy Krauss said...

You hit the nail on the head with this one, Debra! By the way - I awarded you the 'One Lovely Blog' award if you care to check it out ...
http://www.tracykraussexpressionexpress.com

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!