Monday, October 24, 2011

Does She or Doesn't She?

This week I found a great blog fest. This week's topic is This week, be it good or bad, funny or sad, share with us the best response you’ve heard when you’ve told someone you’re a writer. Also, tell us, do you tell other people that you’re a writer?
It also happens to fit with my between theme.

Sometimes I don't even feel like a writer. I'm published but I don't advertise the fact. I'm not sure why? I guess I'm afraid of the reaction I will get and believe me I've got some doosies.

When I tell someone I'm a published author the reactions I get the most is "Really? What have you published or do you make a lot of money. How come I've never heard of you?"

I hate everyone of those reactions. I now tend to stay quite about what I love to do. So, to answer the question I've become cautious in who I tell. It's become like a secret I sweep under the rug or hide in the closet.

I've become a  "does she or doesn't she" writer.

10 comments:

Noreen said...

well i do and don't tell people that i write.
the best comment i have ever heard is by my mother and father.
they said" well you write very well,but we don't really get it what you write."

Juliana L. Brandt said...

This just makes me sad, mostly because I totally get it. I hate that we feel like we have to hide what we love to do. I certainly don't write for the money so it stinks when people relate writing with that *sigh*

The linky-link is back up so be sure to link your page to mine!

Emma said...

I really understand your feelings and I also feel that this is the only mindset that you can really work at your best and your deepest.

Your plot and love or hatred for your characters is your true emotional life that maybe you will never experience in real life. The best writing is the writing that you never talk about.

People do not want you to move outside of their expectation of you - this is quite a natural response. It is this that makes them an audience and you a performer.

Keep it close to your chest and that is where you will find your heart.

Best wishes

Emma x

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Yeah, I also worry about other people's reaction to me saying, I'm a writer. So, very few know. But honestly, I am getting better at it.

Kelley said...

I'm a new follower! Followed over from Juliana's blog. ;)

Congrats on being published!

I'm with ya sister, don't really tell anyone.

catherinemjohnson.wordpress.com said...

Awh, that is sad. I know what you mean though, I get that too. I think you need a trip to the theatre.

Cortney said...

I get that from people too. "You've been writing for how long, and you're still not published?" Still, I like to tell anyone I talk to whenever it pops up.

Coleen Patrick said...

I'm the same way, I don't like talking about it mostly because people seem so baffled by it all. Congrats on your book and I will see you around the blog fest :)

Patricia Lynne said...

I'm the same way. I really hate saying stuff because it just feels so awkward to me.

Kim Van Sickler said...

Well, regardless of what you choose to say about your writing career to people who ask what you do, hopefully you feel good about your success.

Pleased to meet you. I'm visiting from the Warm Fuzzies Blogfest.
Kim Van Sickler
http://swaggerwriters.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!