Sunday, October 16, 2011

Stop the Presses

For the Indie Ink Writing Challenge this week, Mark G challenged me with "A daring plan to save print news industry" and I challenged femmefauxpas with "After twenty-five years of marriage...".


STOP THE PRESSES













Newspaper boxes bare! I couldn't believe my eyes. It finally happened. The Save-a-Tree lunatics had won. The print news industry ceased to exist. I had to do something to stop the madness.,



I couldn't live without my daily fix. I loved the smell of fresh ink, the warmth of a crackling newspaper between my fingers and black ink smudged hands. The Save-a-Tree loonies had to be stopped. But how?



I had to devise a plan. I wasn't about to let a bunch of nuts stop the presses. I had to have an actual newspaper in front of me. I enjoyed the daily crossword puzzle, reading the obits and of course the comics.



Desperate times called for desperate measures and this was a desperate time. My mind ticked like a time bomb waiting to explode. My palms oozed sweat. It was time, time for me to spring into action.



I methodically got dressed in the green and brown uniform I nabbed from the back of an open Save-a-Tree van. I gazed in the mirror at the stranger starring back at me. Perfect. I pulled my long brown hair into a ponytail. I wanted to look the part and so far so good. I was determined to make myself fit in with the lunatics if my plan was to work.



Nobody would ever suspect I wasn't a Save-a-Tree member. I would be able to stop them and save the presses. My plan would work. It had too or the newspaper industry would be lost forever.



I mingled with the group and no one suspected a thing. They climbed into the back of the van and so did I. I pulled my backpack close to my body. I had to be careful or the explosives would detonate before time.



The group chattered about their next mission and I kept silent. I didn't want to conversant. I needed to keep my mind clear of unwanted thoughts. I was on a mission. I had to follow my plan.



The group was too busy talking to even really notice me, to notice a stranger among them. When the van stopped a few miles outside of town, it was time. Time for me to complete my plan. I exited the van first, leaving my back pack behind. I slammed the doors and jammed them with a metal rod.



The people inside begin to rattle the doors, but it was too late for them. Too late for me. I pulled the detonator from my jacket pocket and pushed the switch.







DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fiction. I meant no harm to any group per se.I don't think anyone  who wants to save trees is a lunatic nor would I blow them up.

3 comments:

Tara R. said...

Ha! Tree huggers! Definitely a daring plan.

Kelly Garriott Waite said...

Yipe! We are a family of newspaper lovers for all the same reason: the weight of the paper, the smell, the ink...

Kurt said...

I had an economics class that spelled out these nearly-irrefutable laws of The Market and Supply-and-Demand, and all of that. And the only exceptions to the laws were drugs, bottled water, and printed newspapers. This was a fun and clever use of a tough prompt!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates