Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Tale of Choices

It's once again time for the II challenge. Alas, with this weeks prompt I will not be continuing the story of Dorothy/Alice, but I do have something for you.

This week's Indie Ink Challenge came from Jordan, who gave me this prompt:[choices.commitment.understanding.] I challenged Chaos Mandy with the prompt:[Existence is but an illusion.]


A Tale of Choices



"Miranda, you have two choices," I barely heard my doctor utter.

"Two choices?" I mumbled.

"Miranda, let me be blunt. If you don't change your lifestyle you'll be dead within six months."

My mind whirled with chaos. What was Dr. Abbott saying? Dead.  I knew I was taking a risk when I chose to take chances with my life, but dead... no way!

 "Look Dr, Abbott, you know I can't change. I'm committed to finishing this project. I have no choice."

He looked down at the file in front of him and then back to me.

"Miranda," he fumbled with the papers. "The consequences of your actions will have dire results."

Dire results, dead... 

"Dr. Abbott," I pounded my fist on his massive oak desk. "You're wrong! The damn chart is wrong!"

I got up from where I was seated and stormed out of his office. He was crazy. No way was I going to change what I did. I had a commitment to the C. I. A.

My cell phone buzzed. Dr. Abbott.

"What's up doc?"

"Miranda, this is no joke. If you proceed with your latest suicide mission I can't be responsible for you or your actions any longer."

"Dr. Abbot, I understand your concern, but I have no choice. No two choices as you said. Only one.

He was silent for a moment.

"Miranda, you're wrong. You do have a choice. You don't have to commit yourself to any assignment. Do we have an understanding?"

That was the problem, I did understand. I was a sniper for the C. I. A. and committed to only one choice...

kill or be killed...

What the hell...
The doctor said I would be dead in six months anyway. Might as well go out in a blaze of glory. 

Understand I don't have choices only commitments.










1 comments:

Tara R. said...

A tense exchange. A strong main character, I like her resolve.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!