Thursday, October 20, 2011

Today is National Day on Writing



Today is National Day on Writing...

Why a National Day on Writing?
In light of the significance of writing in our national life, to draw attention to the remarkable variety of writing we engage in, and to help writers from all walks of life recognize how important writing is to their lives, NCTE established October 20 as The National Day on Writing. The National Day on Writing
points to the importance of writing instruction and practice at every grade level, for every student and in every subject area from preschool through university (see The Genteel Unteaching of America’s Poor),
emphasizes the lifelong process of learning to write and composing for different audiences, purposes, and occasions, and encourages Americans to write and enjoy and learn from the writing of others.

 What You Can Do!

Write!
Invite!
Speak!
Connect!
Inform!
Celebrate!
Involve Your Community!

It is important  that you as a writer or reader get involved and stay involved in writing. Words are powerful and can change peoples way of thinking.

Writing is thought to be so important The Senate passed resolutions in 2011, 2010, and 2009 declaring October 20 the National Day on Writing.


Why I write?
I write to change the way people think about ideas, ways of life and to make a difference in someone's life. My words may never reach the multitudes, but if just one person takes away a positive and spreads the word then I've done something to change an attitude.

Why do you write?

My tips for writers... 
Ever since I can remember I have always been told write what you know. I don't subscribe to that school of thought. Sure, it's a plus and positive, but if we wrote what we know wouldn't we be cookie cutter writers.
I want you to write what you feel. A good writer writes from their heart not their head.


Today get involved. Shine your light on another person who may want to write. Be a mentor. Be a supporter. Be a giver. Be a teacher. Be a healer. Be a writer.Be you!

1 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

I think it's so important to pay it forward in this industry. I've had multi-published authors help me and I do my part to help others whenever I can. Why do I write? Short and simple, because it's who I am. Writing is like breathing to me. I can't live without it.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!