Monday, October 17, 2011

The Word Between Halloween

Halloween is only two weeks away and since the posting theme this month is between I wanted to write about the word between H and een: ALLOW.

I'm a Christian and yes, we ALLOW my 7 year old grandson to trick-or-treat.
Here is more about that Happy Halloween?

 The key word is allow...do you allow your child to trick-or treat? Do you allow your child to have fun?

We allow Cameron to be a kid, but we set ground rules. We only allow him to go to certain houses in our neighborhood. We only allow him to eat certain candy. We only allow him to wear a certain costume.

I think by allowing your child to celebrate Halloween you are letting them be a kid. I don't think your being a bad parent or even a bad Christian.

Do you allow your child to celebrate Easter and Christmas? Both are religious holidays sprinkled with secular traditions: i.e. Easter Bunny, Santa Claus....

So as All Hallows Eve fast approaches are you going to ALLOW Halloween in your house?

Photo by: Taste of Home    





Coffin Pumpkin Cake Recipe

 20 Servings
Prep: 1 hour Bake: 40 min. + cooling
 












Ingredients
3/4 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup buttermilk

FROSTING/FILLING:
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons maple flavoring
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (about 40 cookies)
 
Directions
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, ginger and cloves; add to pumpkin mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
Line a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; spread batter into pan. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and enough maple flavoring to achieve a spreading consistency. For filling, in a small bowl, beat 1 cup frosting with whipping cream until soft peaks form.
Cut cake into a coffin shape (discard scraps or save for another use). Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with second layer.
Set aside 2 tablespoons frosting for writing; frost cake with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Cut a small hole in the corner of a plastic bag; fill with reserved frosting. Pipe "RIP" onto cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 20 servings.


Coffin Pumpkin Cake published in Halloween Party Favorites , p30 Taste of Home

5 comments:

Jodi Aman said...

I never thought of the word allow being in there. Love this concept! This will be a beautiful way to reflect for me this year. Thank you! Jodi Aman
www.healnowandforever.net

The Desert Rocks said...

Cake sounds yummy and yes, everyone needs to know their limitations.

nadinefeldman.com said...

The cake looks most excellent!

I grew up celebrating Halloween, and I never heard of the controversy about celebrating it until I moved to Texas as an adult. I had so many happy memories, choosing my costume and eating the candy! I'm smiling just thinking about it.

Tina Lane said...

I'm not ready for Halloween! Where does the time go?

PS I finally posted the award you gave me at my place. Thanks again for thinking of me.

samantha stacia said...

Thats really cool, its all about what you allow as a parent. I am a Christian and LOVE this month. I have never seen any harm in it and never will. My child is allowed to celebrate and enjoy himself just like I did. I am glad you were brave enough to talk about it! Like the lil picture too!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates