Monday, November 21, 2011

Mama Liked the Roses

After a few week's on hiatus I am back for the Indie Ink weekly challenge. For the IndieInk Writing Challenge this week, Mary Terrani challenged me with "Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead."Oscar Wilde and I challenged Daily Shorts with "More than minds comprehend".


Here is my challenge answer:


































Mama Likes the Roses




My mama love two things in her life; Elvis Presley and roses. Every time I hear the song 'Mama Likes the Roses' by Elvis Presley my mind wanders to my childhood and my deep Southern roots.

I can still hear my mothers voice float through the brambles of her rose garden. "Darlin', keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead."

I didn't understand what my mother meant until she was gone. I inherited her sense of beauty, but not her green thumb. Her beautiful rose garden stands barren and isolated. I haven't stepped inside the garden gates since she died. It's been too painful. Her beautiful roses have wilted and withered away like love in the winter.

When she died, her roses died. Love also died.

I no longer had love in my heart. It has withered like her beautiful roses. My heart is like a stone garden. It cannot be penetrated. My flowers are now dead. There is no more beauty within my garden walls. I am a sunless garden.

Darlin, keep love in your heart.... 

5 comments:

Bethe77 said...

Debra that was an amazing write. Sad but so beautiful! May your heart and graden come alive once again.
Blessings

Karen S. said...

Such bittersweet writing...love keeps us strong no matter what...excellent writing....!

dandelionfleur said...

This got me *right there*. Beautiful

floreksa said...

Beautiful.

Tara R. said...

Beautifully sad. Such strong emotions.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates