Monday, November 14, 2011

My Top Ten Reasons I Don't Finish NaNoWriMo




Every year I sign up for NaNo and every year I never finish. It's not that I don't want to write a novel. I  have three unfinished WIP's sitting collecting dust.

I have a top ten list why I never finish and collect my winner's badge:

10. I procrastinate.
9. Fear.
8. I always stop to edit.
7. I get bored with the current project.
6. My mind goes blank.
5. Life.
4. Laziness.
3. Doubt.
2.  Consistency.

AND THE NUMBER 1 REASON:
Me!

I have to admit I'm my number one downfall when it comes to sticking with a writing goal. It's not that I don't want to write, it's I find excuses not to write. I have been writing something daily, but not on my WIP. I'm not sure why I sabotage myself? Is it a deep-seated proclivity? Probably. I suffer from fear of failure and fear of success.

My fear of failure stems from the many rejections I've received throughout my writing career. I realize rejection is part of the publishing game,  but I can never wrap my senses around the fact I fail at something I love to do.

I also have a fear of success. I know, who doesn't want to be successful? I do, but then some days I don't. I guess it's part of my fear of failure. I freeze up when I start to talk about my publishing credits or I don't even talk about them at all. My family gives me more accolade's than I give myself.

My fears are real and tend to get worse every NaNo season. Will I ever complete the task? I don't know. I am too far behind in the race to catch up. I might finish my WIP, but not full speed ahead.

Look for me again next NaNoWriMo for I am a glutton for punishment!

8 comments:

thedailywoman said...

Debra.. I can totally relate to the fear of success. I don't know why we feel this way. But we must change our beliefs!

I hope that someday you do finish your WIP. I would sure be interested in reading it.

NaNo is going okay so far for me... My biggest fear is that my mind will blank out at 45,000 words. EEK!

Thought provoking post.. I dig it.

Darlene

Kelly Hashway said...

Debra, forget about success and rejection. Just write. Don't let the end goal get in your way. Write for you.

The Desert Rocks said...

All this time I thought I was the only one like this--thank God I'm not alone!

homecomingbook said...

People have different writing styles, and NaNoWriMo is just one of them. If you're the kind of writer who discovers in the middle of Chapter 14 that the story would work much better if the plot line of Chs 2-4 was changed, getting through a first draft in a month may not work for you. I've never even tried NaNoWri for exactly that reason.

Myne Whitman said...

I am doing Nano and I try not to put pressure on myself, but I am also slowed down by editing and procrastination.

faith hope love ღ said...

love your post! thanks for sharing... God bless you...loves soraya..

Emily White said...

I'm stopping by from Sommer's blog to give you some NaNo kudos!

Writing 50,000 words in a month can be a daunting task, especially when we've got some fears to go along with it. If nothing else works, stop writing the book with publishing as your end goal in mind. Just write for the love of writing. And write to give your character's life. That's all! Let all that other stuff come later, if it's going to come at all.

Good luck!

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

I never have entered. Too hard with a full time job to find enought time to be that dedicated. So, I just plug along, a little here and a little there. Someday, the manuscript will be finished and I can think about the next step.

Good luck on your writing, Debra.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!