Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Close to Home-The January 23rd 2012 East Jefferson County Alabama Tornado

In the dark hours of yesterday morning another tornado ripped through my state of Alabama. This time it hit home. The tornado was within a half mile of my house. It obliterated communities, destroyed homes and took the life of a 16 year old girl in my community.

This one was too close. My family and I huddled together in the downstairs closet. We survived. God had His hand on us(no other explanation). My husband is a weather watcher and he didn't go to bed the night before. He stayed awake to ensure our safety. Many families were not so lucky or blessed.

It's a tragedy once again in our state, but this time it was too close to home. It could have been my family, my house or our community. I praise God we are alive today. It saddens my heart and soul that others are picking up the pieces of their lives today. The painful memories of January 23rd, 2012 will never be erased.

East Jefferson County Alabama was almost wiped off the map(Clay, Centerpoint, Trussville and Pinson). The damage was mainly centered in Centerpoint (buildings and homes gone), Clay(subdivisons gone, one life lost) Trussville(homes gone) Pinson(businesses gone).

My grandson attends a Pinson school and today we are thankful and blessed his school is still standing(many aren't).

Please pray for the many victims of yesterday's devastation....

11 comments:

The Desert Rocks said...

Glad you are all right!

brenda said...

Yikes! We have earthquakes here in California, I am never sure what is better .. neither. Glad you are OK.

Diane Carlisle said...

What a tragedy! I saw it in the news this morning and at lunch. Good to hear you are okay.

Augie said...

Debra so glad to hear you and your family are okay, I pray for those who had to endure such a horrific night. Thank you for sharing such devastation. Augie Hicks

Kat Ward said...

Relieved to hear that you and yours are safe; my thoughts and hopes go out to those who lost home and property, and especially the family who lost their daughter.

Cindy Brown said...

So sorry! Prayers going up!

Debra Ann Elliott said...

I just want to say thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

catherinemjohnson said...

I hadn't even heard about the tornado. So sorry to hear that. Especially for the family of the sixteen year old.

julietgreenwoodauthor said...

I'm so sorry. I've been watching that video in horror. We don't have anything nearly so destructive here in the UK, I can't imagine how terrifying it must have been.

Thinking of you all.

Juliet

Kristin Bridgman said...

I'm praying!

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

I will certainly add your state, community and family to my prayers. It is hard to understand why some are spared and others are not. All we can do is hold onto our faith and trust in our Lord.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!