Sunday, February 19, 2012

It's Not All About Money

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 1 Timothy 6:10 NIV


It's not all about money! 
After you pick yourself up off the floor, hear me out...you've heard it all before the love of money is the root of all evil. What do you believe?

Before you can really make an informed decision about what is true and right you first must know what it is.

It = life....life is not all about money! It's not you're already saying....


NOPE! There is more to life(to it) than money. Sure we need money to survive. Money is a basic need, it's not a want. We need money, but why do we want money?



We want money for____________ (fill in the blank).
We want money to ____________ (fill in the blank).

We need money for ___________ (fill in the blank).
We need money to ____________ (fill in the blank).

Do you get IT now?

We as a society have gotten wrapped up in the money trap. We want things we know we can't really afford. Our wants outweigh out needs.

Some of my favorite money sayings stop me in my tracks when I forget it's not all about the money. Life is about survival, it's not about competition.

 My top  money-isms:

1. Do I look like a cash cow?  Don't flaunt what you really don't have. Don't be a ready source of cash to just throw away on a whim. Be a reservist...

2. Money doesn't grow on trees. This has to be my all time favorite saying. Some people still think money grows on trees and they can spend, spend, spend... It doesn't work that way. Money is something you earn for a honest days work. It is a responsibility.

We have(must be) to be good steward's of  our money(our lives). We have to invest for our future.

Money is a good, sound investment, but the love of money(and all it brings) will put you in the "poor house".

For more about money and how you should really use it I've listed a few helpful resources:
Money Help for Christians
Bible Money Matters
Dave Ramsey

Remember it's(life) not all about money....it's about who you are, where you're going and how you got there!

7 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Very true! Great post. People get very caught up in money and it goes back to the saying, "The best things in life are free."

Deb said...

Being poor causes enormous stress and hardship. I don't want to be a millionaire and I don't worship money but I would just like to have enough money so I can live comfortably without having to constantly worry about how can I afford to get my car fixed or how can I pay my dentist bill.

Diane Carlisle said...

I can say that I have the money I need, but I definitely do not have the money I'd like to have. College for my kids is right around the corner and the budget is going to be tight.

If anything, I respect money. Everyone should respect money, whether they have it or not. That means, if you don't have money, respect other people's money. Don't steal from them because you believe you deserve it more than they do. Don't charge them more because they have it to give.

It's a shame that rich people are discriminated against because they have money. Many of them worked hard for it. And if they didn't, their parents did.

I inherited money from my mother when she passed in 2006. I didn't run off to buy a new Cadillac, boat or 10 carat diamond ring. The money went in the bank for a rainy day that hasn't come yet. That's right, I respect that money. I didn't earn it, but my mother did. I continue to earn my own. :)

Great post, because it made me rant on.

Darian Wilk said...

Oh my God, Dave Ramsey changed our life, yay to you for passing on that resource!

And you're so right, people it seems have confused or forgotten the difference between want and need. It's a sad state I think, the way a lot of people misunderstand that. "I have to lease, I need a car!" Yes, you need a car, but you WANT a new one, so you spend outside your means and lease one. I could go on and on lol. Great post!

Debra Ann Elliott said...

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.

mamas*little*treasures said...

Good morning Debra - we are featuring this post in the Ruby for Women community today, so I hope you will stop by and leave a comment, and invite your friends and readers to join us in the community. Have a great day! Nina

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

A much needed reminder in today's onslaught of buy, buy, buy to find happiness. Wealth does not ensure happiness, and the little it does buy is fleeting. Great post, Debra.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates