Saturday, March 17, 2012

Savor the Memories



Today is not only St. Patrick's Day but my grandson's 8th birthday. I can't believe how time has flown by. It seems like only yesterday he came into my life and I became a grandmother for the first time. I look back on the day he was born and although his birth was a happy occasion, it was also marred with anguish. My daughter had been in an abusive relationship when she found out she was pregnant and had the good sense to come back home before my grandson was born. Her pregnancy was fraught with tension and turmoil. It's a true miracle and blessing they survived.

I knew in my heart he was a gift from God and he would be born on St. Patrick's Day. When he came into this world he was sick and had to be placed in NICU for a week. We didn't get a chance to really bond with him. For a week my heart ached to hold my precious grand baby. I had an empty void in my soul.

We finally brought him home and for the next few years went through a lot but we managed with lots of love, hope and prayer.

Even though the memories are painful I still savor everyone of them. Without those memories my grandson wouldn't be here today. He is a special gift from God and I savor everyday, every minute and every memory we make together.

Memories can be happy, sad, joyous or painful, but savor them. Memories are who we are. They are what makes us stronger.

17 comments:

by Pegg Thomas said...

Sounds like you went through a lot to have your wonderful grandson. Savoring the good and the hard times that work toward good are both important!

Terrie said...

Debra, I find it amazing how quickly we forget the trial once we get more time between the event and the outcome. Even though his life began with a struggle, I am sure he is the joy of your lives. Thank you

From Carols Quill said...

Kids are one of those things we want to savor most 'cuz they just grow up too fast before we're done with the savoring. Loved how your St. Patrick's day gift was wearing a green cap for the occasion!

Thank you for sharing this.

Diane Carlisle said...

Happy Birthday, Nick!

Deb, congratulations for living through those painful times.

Tracy Krauss said...

Children (and grandchildren) are a gift from God!

E. G. Lewis said...

Love stories that have a happy ending. Happy birthday to Nick! Peace and Blessings

Victor Travison said...

I may not be a grandparent, but I have watched my nieces and nephews grow up. One nephew has three great-nieces, and one niece has a great-nephew (in relation to me, of course). It is a pleasure to watch them mature into adults.

~ VT

Bill Jones said...

Thank you for the wonderful post Debra. We just had our first grandson 6 months ago and I can imagine the worries you and the family went through. But, thank the Lord, He saw you all through it.

Sandra Tyler said...

This hits home. My son is eight too. Seems like yesterday I brought him home.

SandiGrace said...

Isn't it marvelous how God takes anguish, (your daughter's abusive relationship), and turns it to joy, (your grandson). I love that about the Lord. He is continually making pearls from our pain.

Cindee Snider Re said...

Happy Birthday to Nick! What joy to see him growing into a strong, healthy, deeply loved boy. Blessings!

Adam Collings said...

The birthday of a grandchild would be a very special thing to savour. Happy birthday to him!

Nona King said...

Aw! What a great post! It is so great that you have such a wonderful young man to shower blessings upon. :)

Mommy's Angel In Heaven said...

You have it so right. I sit here at work trying not to cry as I remember my daughter. My pregnancy was anything but easy. The enduced me and took her 6 weeks early. She stayed in the hosptal for a week and 4 days after she was born. Until she got sick from E.coli, my daughter was rarly sick. My time with her was precious and I savor it just like you savor the precious time you had and still have with him now. Beautiful writing.

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

It does seem so many things are a mixture of sweet and sour. So glad he and your daughter survived. There is nothing more special than being a grandmother, except maybe being a mom.

Deborah K. Anderson said...

He's so cute, Debra. And look at how he's grown.
What a beautiful testament you've left him. Thanks for sharing your memories with us.

Traci B said...

Happy (belated) birthday, Nick! Great post, Debra. Your story blessed us; it would make a great novel premise.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates