Thursday, April 5, 2012

Finding Your Relative in the 1940 U.S. Census Might be Easier than Finding a Needle in a Haystack

It's here! The 1940 U S Census is finally here...
With a few exceptions most of the kinks and bugs have been worked out. On April 2nd (the day of release) there was a website overload. I started indexing to help others easily find their relatives plus I want to find my relatives as well. At first I thought it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack(it still is somewhat that way).

There are clues to help you along the way, so you aren't stuck looking for a needle in a haystack.

 Unified 1940 ED Finder  helps you obtain the Enumeration District for a 1940 Location in One Step.

Official 1940 Census Website helps you get started.


I used both of the resources to locate my mother and her family. My search for her was easier than I thought, because I knew where to look. I narrowed my mother down to two potential locations. I knew she lived in both Talladega County and Shelby County Alabama. I searched first in Talladega County. I didn't find her, but found her close childhood pal Jim Nabors(Gomer Pyle).

I begin to think I was looking for that needle in a haystack. I stepped back and gathered the clues. I knew her sister died in 1939 and where she was buried, so I proceeded to look for the ED. This one was easy. I typed in state, county and city and the place where I knew my aunt was buried. VoilĂ ! I found my needle in the census haystack. There was only one ED listed. I scoured the records on ED 59-3 and listed on page 7 were my grandparent's, mother, four aunts, my great grandmother, great uncle and two 2nd cousins. You talk about excitement. I couldn't contain my excitement. I wanted more! I had to find more needles in the haystack.

I am still searching for my dad(with him I really am looking for a needle in a haystack).

Wish me luck.....

1 comments:

Lynn Proctor said...

i am happy you are having success--hope you find your dad

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!