Thursday, October 18, 2012

Alphabe-Thursday Letter V

Jenny Matlock
 
Alphabe-Thursday is hosted by Jenny Matlock. I haven't participated in a while, so I'm jumping back in and getting my feet wet. The letter of the day is V. My word is visualize.
 
to see or form a mental image of...

I love this word. It is especially important in writing. When you write, of course you want to show and not tell. Visualization is an important tool in this process. If you can't visualize your characters, then how can you expect your readers too see what your see.

I have a proclivity of falling into the 'tell trap' and not show my readers what I visualize.  You have to use the senses of smell, taste, hearing and feeling, and sight.

What smells can your reader visualize(yes, readers visualize smells!)? How can your MC describe what something taste like(a juicy melon, a vanilla coffee). Invoke images of taste.

Hearing is another important visualization tool. When your MC hears a noise, make your MC visualize that noise(a glass shattering, a slamming door...). How does something feel in your writing? I recently learned this lesson the hard way in one of my writing projects. I learned as a writer you just can't decribe something with one word, you have to use several descriptive words to bring an object to life, to make your reader visualize it.

And now the most important visualization tool: sight...

Your reader has to see what you wrote. Show, show, show...bring your characters to life. Don't tell their story, show their story.

Visualize what you want to write...


 
 
 
 

12 comments:

Jim said...

Thank you, Debra, for this bit of insight. I cannot visualize, I don't know if it can be taught or not. Do you (know)? An example is that I can never 'see' and sheep to count in trying to sleep.

There is a name for it (______????). I do have photographic memory and placing what and when and where I saw something is very dear to my remembering process. But ask me what Mrs. Jim is wearing today and I don't know without looking. Or what she looks like. I have a deficiency in that I cannot remember people by their faces. Therefore I do not remember people I have met by their faces. After I know them fairly well, like playing golf or eating with them I will remember but still can't remember their faces.

I always thought my vocabulary was lacking (I have excellent vocabulary knowledge of up to six letter words) in that I write in simple terms.

Thank you for peeking in on my "V" for velocipede word.
..

Heather said...

Visualizing is so important! Great V Post!!

Jim said...

Oops, I cannot 'see' ANY sheep ...
Sorry,
..

VBR said...

Great V post. Welcome back!

Andrea said...

Thanks for dropping by my site. That's very right most especially for writers, and visualization with the mind's eye is more difficult than the real eyes. It is a good tool also for meditation.

Karen S. said...

Welcome back! I've missed the last couple too, time is just too short but I'll be back again. Your V is very, very important and right on!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Excellent advice! I find that hard to do sometimes...

Sue said...

I'm a writer, but I am not good at visualization per se. I have to sort of feel my way through, as I do not see pictures but rather have impressions.

=)

storybeader said...

what a good tool for writers and readers. I'll try and remember this. thanks {:-Deb

Jamie said...

I used to write fiction, and I was horrible at the "show, don't tell" requirement. Exposition was my downfall. I've always been better at journalistic writing but even that requires that your reader visualize what you want to convey. I'm working on getting better.

Great "V" post!

Gattina said...

I think I am pretty good in visualizing sometimes probably even too good, it helps me writing.

Jenny said...

I think my problem is that I can visualize too much!

Often when I'm trying to write, I find my imagination running off in twelve directions at once.

But it's also what helps avoid writers block!

Or so I tell myself!

Thanks for a very thoughtful link for the letter "V".

A+

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates