Tuesday, October 23, 2012

If I Let You Go "Letting Go" Bloghop

 The "Letting Go" blog hop is hosted by Kyra Lennon in celebration of the release of her novella If I Let You Go.

The rules:

Was there a time when you had to let go of someone or something? How did it make you feel? How did you handle it? Or if that's too personal - which I completely understand - how about writing a piece of flash fiction?

The only rules are - obviously - it has to be related to letting go, and please keep it to a maximum of 500 words.

Letting Go Is Never Easy

The once handsome, virile man  lay in the cold, metal hospital bed now only a shell of what he once was. His crystal blue eyes faded and sunken into his ghastly, thin face. I waited for the inevitable. I waited for him to die.

The cancer had taken over his strong body without warning. It ravaged and raped the perfect man. I counted his breaths. One,two, three...stop. One, two, three...stop. I could feel death enter the stark, solemn hospital room. It was only a matter of time before...before he took his last breath.

"Baby Doll," he summoned me closer.

"Yes daddy?" 

He wrapped his once protective arms around me. His voice rasped with weakness, my daddy whispered into my ear.

"I love you. Remember I won't ever leave you, but you have to let me go."

My mind screamed no. Hot tears stung my face and fell onto my daddy's cheek.

"Daddy, I can't let you go."

He reached and touched my hand with his. It was cold as an Arctic winter. It was time, time to let him go. 

I whispered against his ear. "I love you daddy."

One, two, three...stop.

His hand slipped from mine. He had let go. 

"Good-bye daddy." 

I had let go.
***


Although this story is fictionalizes, it is based upon a childhood memory.


6 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Great job on this! Very emotional, well done!

Thanks for joining in with the bloghop!

kmckendry said...

So sad. Nicely done.

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

Your story describes my husband's death from brain cancer, especially the part about counting his breaths. The same rhythm. And then it was over. He was gone. And I too had to let go.

Beautifully done, Debra.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Letting go of my dad was one of the toughest things I have ever done.

michelle said...

Letting go of a parent/child has to be one of the hardest things...
Lovely story!
I'm checking in from the bloghop.

Tammy Theriault said...

great emotional piece. loved the story! blog hopping and new follower!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!