Friday, October 19, 2012

Not What You Think

 
This week the prompt asked you to write a 300 word fiction or creative non-fiction piece focusing on tension arising from a misinterpreted written note or eavesdropped conversation.
 
 
"Liar!' Jenna flung the faded birth certificate at her mother.
 
"Jenna, you... don't understand."
 
"Yes I do," You lied to me."
 
Jenna retrieved the document that proved she was adopted. She ripped it to shreads and stormed out of the kitchen.
 
How could my parent's lie to me all these years about who I really was?
 
Hot, salty tears spilled over her cheek and onto her lips. Hebert and Joan Wilson weren't her real parents. A woman named Millie Sims was her mother, no father mentioned.
 
Loud, angry sounds emmited from the kitchen. Her parent's were arguing.
 
"I told you Joan, we should have told her the truth."
 
"But Herbert, she's our daughter. She doesn't belong to that tramp Millie Sims."
 
Jenna rushed into the kitchen to confront her parent's.
 
"Stop it! I don't care if you're not my biological mom and dad."
 
She rushed to them and placed her arms tight around their necks.
 
Oh, Jenna dear, you are our natural daughter."
 
Jenna raised her eyebrows.
 
"I am? But the birth certificate..."
 
"Is your sister's," her father spoke.
 
"Cammie?"
 
Cammie's not my sister.
 
"Yes Jenna. We adopted Cammie, then found out I was pregnant with you," her mother stammered.
 
"Mom, dad I don't understand."
 
"Millie Sims was my sister," her father's voiced faltered. "She and your mom where pregnant at the same time. Millie had the baby and died in chidbirth."
 
Jenna felt sorry for her parents. She shouldn't have accused them until she got all the facts.
 
"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."
 
"We know dear. The birth certificate was suppose to be hidden."
 
"It was, but I snooped and found it."
 
"Let's just forget it even happened and never let your sister know."
 
Jenna nodded in agreement.
 
"Let me know what?" Cammie asked.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


8 comments:

whispatory said...

Ha! I loved that you worked both the written and the verbal misunderstanding here. This captured for me a real feel of a small town.

Ink in the Book said...

Awesome, really and I loved it. Good job!

beebeesworld said...

Excellent take on the betrayal theme!

Shelton Keys Dunning said...

Sweet story, I think. Great take on the prompt!

Yolanda Renee said...

Oh no, poor Cammie,

Wonderful take on a family secret. Can't help but wonder if the truth will ever come out.

Good job!

Charmaine Clancy said...

Good story, nice twist with the miscommunication.

Kathleen Basi said...

Nice. And the drama continues.

awriterisborn said...

Great tension build up. Nice twist.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates