Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Insecure Writer's Support Group

O. K. I'll admit I'm insecure about my writing, about success and failure. I'm so insecure I joined a support group Insecure Writer's Support Group is hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Here are the details in case you may want to join:

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.

Now I'll tell you why I need a writer's support group:

I have always been insecure in my writing. I have a fear of failure, of not being good enough. Yes, I've published a few non-fiction pieces and have a few fiction pieces floating aeound the internet, but that's not good enough. I want more! I have notebooks and boxes stuffed with WIP's. Why? Because I'm not sure my words are good enough. I'm not sure I can write a novel without fail.

Do you have writer insecurites? Please feel free to share.

9 comments:

Vikki (www.the-view-outside.com) said...

Welcome to the IWSG :)

I totally know where youre coming from Debra. Its very scary, sharing our work with other people :( Is there a fellow writer that you could share with? Another blogger who feels the same so you could both look at each others work? Ive started to share a lot of fiction on my blog and ive really benefitted from the feedback.

I see youre taking part in Nano this year...SNAP! Good luck honey, and remember, you dont have to finish the month with a complete novel. Any words you write in November will be more that you had in October ;)

xx

michelle said...

I know exactly how you feel. I constantly worry about what others will think of my writing... but the IWSG has really helped and my confidence is growing.
Welcome to the group.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I'm worried I'll write a best seller and the paparazzi will hound me to death. LOL. Just kiddin. I'm more afraid I'll be invited on Ellen, and I'll walk out with toilet paper trailing behind me. I mean really, what would be worse? Never being published? Or being on North American TV with 2-ply flapping out my butt?

Hi Debra. I'm IWSG #192

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Welcome to the IWSG! You are in the right place.
We never feel good enough. Just do the best you can and aim for excellence, not perfection. And believe in what you write. You can do it!

Shell Flower said...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that worries. I just joined IWSG, too, but I've been worried I'll never write the great novel I want to write all along. At least we are writing. They always say that's the secret. Just write.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Write like no one will ever read it, then you can write without the anxiety.

Chemist Ken said...

I think all writers are insecure. It's a part of their DNA. If you have these bits of writing laying about, take one and run with it. You never know what will happen.

Welcome to the IWSG!

Candilynn Fite said...

Do I have writer insecurities? Heck yeah. I believe it goes with the territory. But you just gotta stick your neck out there. Be brave. Be fearless. Welcome to IWSG. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I have tons of insecurities even after publishing a few books. Nice to meet you.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates