Monday, October 15, 2012

Trifecta: Week Forty-Seven:


This week I am joining the ranks of the writer's at Trifecta. On to this week's prompt, which is again inspired by the upcoming dark holiday.Please remember to use the third definition, which, in this case, is fairly specific.
Please remember:
  • Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
  • You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
  • The word itself needs to be included in your response.
  • You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above.
  • Only one entry per writer.

This week's word is black.

BLACK

1a : of the color black
b (1) : very dark in color
(2): having a very deep or low register
(3) : heavy, serious
2a : having dark skin, hair, and eyes : swarthy
b (1) often capitalized : of or relating to any of various population groups having dark pigmentation of the skin
(2) : of or relating to the African-American people or their culture
(3) : typical or representative of the most readily perceived characteristics of black culture
3: dressed in black
 
 
Dressed in Black
 
Winter snow fell heavy onto the crimson roses in my once beautiful garden. The only thing left were the roses. No matter what the situation I could count on the buds to bloom, until that particular winters day when the snow came.
It wasn't winter really, the end of October actually. Halloween to be exact. At first I thought my mind was playing tricks. The trickle of snowflakes became an army of massive soldiers who trampled onto my roses.
 
I tried to rush outside to save my precious babies, but I saw it. It glared at me, as to mock me. A dark, shadowed figured dressed in black stood in the middle of the garden. Snowflakes danced on the wind around the illusion.
 
This thing reminded of winter crows on the prowl. White covered the black. Black covered the white. I no longer could see outside my window. The pretty snowflakes had become a blizzard. It was too late for my crimson roses. Thirty-three perfect roses, stood naked in a snow-covered garden dressed in black.
 
 
 

9 comments:

Brian said...

Cool - you did nice work with the colors, and the image of a black shadow figure surrounded by a swirl of white snowflakes was evocative. Nice!

Kelly Garriott Waite said...

Very dark and frightening. Love the black on white on black imagery. Crimson roses. Lovely.

Annabelle said...

Nice visuals here!

trudgingthroughfog said...

Beautiful imagery. That last line is lovely! And of course, we must acknowledge your nod to Trifecta with the number of roses. Clever!

Flippa Bird said...

What lovely imagery! I love the black, white and red... such contrasts.

donnakiser said...

I absolutely adore the imagery play, the dark, the cold, the death. Striking.
dk

Trifecta said...

HOW many roses? :-) Nice job with the prompt. I, too, enjoyed the colors and feel of this piece. I like your army analogy, too. Thanks for linking up.

Draug said...

I like the image as the snow as warriors, and the snow-covered garden (even if the roses are trampled :( )

Jester Queen said...

The roses and snow become characters as you describe the reds, blacks, and whites. I love the use of color here.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates