Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy X-Giving

This post is part of the Christian Writer's November Blog Chain. The theme is Heirloom.


Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving

HAPPY X-GIVING



I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the days of Norman Rockwell's Thanksgiving no longer exist. It did when I was growing up in the sixties and early seventies. I can still smell my grandma's turkey and ham wafting through her kitchen. I can still hear the chattering of all my cousins. I miss those days. They stopped after my dad passed away and my mom and I moved three-thousand miles away from Thanksgiving.

After I got married and had kids, I tried to give them a heirloom Thanksgiving with all the trimmings. It didn't go as planned. Times were rough for myself and my first husband. With four children we barely made ends meet. My kids never had a Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving.

As time passed, kids grew up and went there own way. Now it's me, hubby,daughter, and grandson. We spend Thanksgiving, just the four of us around a tiny table wishing for that Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving.

It seems the older your children get the less they care about Thanksgiving. It's more about the food, playing video games, or watching football on T.V. The true meaning of Thanksgiving went out the door with yesterday's parents. It's our fault. We have become a society of fast-paced, let's get it over with Thanksgivings.

I want my grandson to experience a Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving, but he probably never will. My family is scattered about and the excuses are never ending. There is now a hustle and bustle that keeps my family from that Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving. What's your excuse?

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. 
Psalms 100:4 NIV


Click here to read the other entries for this month.






10 comments:

heathercking said...

Debra, our Thanksgiving service last night spoke to so much of this. We had a video that describes what you're talking about perfectly: http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=0JC1F1NU

The speaker talked about how Thanksgiving has never so much been about Norman Rockwell idealism. Even the original Thanksgiving was after bare-bones survival. Lincoln's proclamation was to institute Thanksgiving during the Civil War---not after. We have conflict, we have difficulties, we don't always have abundance. But we pause to give thanks to God. I hope your day is more Norman Rockwell than you imagined :-)

From Carols Quill said...

Oh, Debra, I will pray that your grandson has a Norman Rockwell thanksgiving in his heart. That's where true thanksgiving resides. And love of family is there, too, no matter how many places are set at the physical table.

Victor Travison said...

It does distress me how blithely our society passes right over Thanksgiving and shifts into Christmas mode way too early. I heard Christmas music early in November. A store advertised Black Friday a week or two before the day. It's all about the commerce, making money, staying in the black; and on the private level, all about getting gifts, watching football, and stuffing ourselves with Christmas turkey.

It's hard to catch the world when it falls so rapidly, but we can still have Thanksgiving in our hearts. Not only the fourth Thursday of every November, but all year round.

~ VT

Tracy Krauss said...

As a Canadian, we celebrate Thanksgiving in October - the second Sunday of October, in fact, with the Monday following a statutory holiday as well. My husband and I moved away from our respective families, but we always managed to keep the traditional meal at least with our own kids. Now that they are grown up (and married) we have still been privileged to get together as a larger extended family. The Christmas rush hasn't started yet for us, which perhaps helps to keep the holiday more focused.

KeriMae said...

I was just thinking of this during our Thanksgiving supper. It had all of the fixings but our normal thanksgivings and prayers were missing; the fallout of trying to keep peace with extended family. Even the hymn singing was dampened. I was thankful that we really aren't dependent on one day out of the whole year just to be grateful! To me, thanksgiving is an every day affair of the heart, not a scene we try to create in November. I love Norman Rockwell's Thanksgiving because to me it is not just a picture of cliche, but a reminder of the blessing of family and the sweet care of someone that spends his or her time in preparing a meal to nourish them. Every day I have food and family....I am thankful :)

Christine Henderson said...

We may not be able to recreate the Norman Rockwell moment (but then it was only an image) but we can create new family traditions that can be of a meal shared together or sharing what we have with others and giving of ourselves.

Jolie du Pre said...

Very nice!

Stephanie Boles said...

I'm late getting to this post, but still enjoyed it. Blessings.

Deborah K. Anderson said...

Great post, Debra. I was just telling my husband the same thing. Things aren't like they used to be.

PJ said...

Hi Debra! I have never had children to spend the holidays with (with the exception of my second husband's little boy) I am now on my 3rd and last marriage! LOL! Anyway,up until this year I have cooked the traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners. Yes I had to scale them down to size and we ate turkey for several weeks after, but I wasn't going to let that deter me. It's bad enough not having kids to share it with, but not to eat the traditional dinner to me would have made it just like any other day. At least the food made it seem a little more special (not forgetting the reason for the season). Anyway, this year was different because we are in a travel trailer and I couldn't cook a turkey in our VERY small oven, so we went out to eat. Wasn't the same for sure.

God Bless,
PJ

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates