Sunday, November 11, 2012

How I Rose From the Ashes of Pity Into the Beauty of Purpose: The Backstory of My Book 'From the Ashes of Pity Into the Beauty of Purpose



Today I want to share my story of how the idea of 'From the Ashes of Pity Into the Purpose of Beauty' began.

My journey started thirty-five years ago. I was 16, alone and pregnant. I lived in Oregon where as a ward of the state I had no say in what happened to me or my unborn baby. On November 4th, 1977 I had an abortion. That memory was seared into my heart and soul. It never left me. Years of pain and anguish followed me everywhere I went.

I relived that exact moment over and over every November 4th and still do. I couldn't write  or speak about what happened. I carried the burden with me for many years, until the Lord placed it upon my heart to write about my suffering. He was asking me to share my tragedy with other hurting women.

In 2009, I started blogging and found the website Christian Books for Women hosted by Karen. This is a wonderful site for woman who are going through tough times. I approached Karen with the idea of a series for women who either had gone through an abortion or was thinking about it. She liked the idea and a series of articles was born out of my tragedy.

I wrote several articles and when the series ended, I decided to create a blog to reach as many hurting women as I could. I knew this is what the Lord wanted me to do at the time.  In January 2011 Getting Through the Hurt and Learning How to Heal was born. I added more articles, but in the back of my mind I knew God wanted me to do more than just post a series of articles on a blog.

I decided it was time to get up off my duff and write a book to help other women who have suffered. The book does not focus on me or my abortion. It  focuses on women who have hurt and need to know the Lord is always there with them.

I've added more chapters and now the book have 6 sections and 30 chapters. I know this was the direction the Lord was leading me in all along. It just took me awhile to get there.

It is my desire that my book will reach women across the globe who are suffering and need the encouragement  to move forward in their lives and not look back.

It is time to rise from the ashes of pity into the beauty of purpose.

Blessings,

Debra


2 comments:

Cecilia Marie Pulliam said...

Debra, your title for the book is perfect. God can take the bad and turn it to good, as you are perfect example. Bless you for being brave enough to step forward and not only bare your heart, but reach out to others with love and compassion. As you exemplify, you have to walk that path in order to understand its pain, and how best to offer healing.

Ink in the Book said...

I am so glad God has helped you and led you this far. I'm so excited for you and with you much success with this book:)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!