Saturday, November 10, 2012

Kris Kringle’s Magic Blog Tour Meet Special Guest Author Diane Stringam Tolley


Once again author Diane Stringam Tolley weaves her magic with the release of Kris Kringle's Magic. If you read one book this holiday season to your children this one needs to be at the top of your list! It's become a family favorite...

About the book:


Kris Kringle’s Magic: Before the Snow

Many of us go to the same job, day in and day out, for thirty years or more.

We give each other awards and kudos for doing so.

But what would it be like to have the same job for hundreds of years?

A person who did that would have to really, really . . . not like being at home.

Really.

Or to love his job.

Either way, it would say something about that person.

Speak to his character.

Now Kris Kringle, for example, has been doing the same job for many, many, many years.

What a treadmill that must be.

Make toys.

Keep a record of letters and requests and good/bad children.

Load said toys.

Deliver to said children.

It could become monotonous.

For a normal person.

But Kris loves his job.

Lives for his job.

And does it well.

But what of the boy inside the man? What life experiences forged such a steady, caring, selfless
individual? An individual who will spend his life thinking totally of others. With no thought of
personal gain or reward.

What would it take to create such a person?

And there must be a reason he started his whole ‘gift-giving’ enterprise. There must have been a
first day.

Just as there must have been a first time he saw the future Mrs. Kringle.

And there also would have to be a pretty strong motive for them to decide to move, bag, baggage
and Elves, to the North Pole of all places. One of the most inhospitable areas of the earth.

Were they simply explorers, looking for the most rugged spot they could find? And realized
upon seeing the great expanse of ice and snow that is the North Pole, that their search was over?
Or could they have been fleeing something so horrible that any land, even one that was frozen
solid, would look more welcoming.

These are the ideas behind Kris Kringle’s Magic.

At least that is my story.


About the author:


I was raised on a ranch in southern Alberta in an atmosphere of literary magic. With a mother
who wrote constantly and a father who spouted poetry at every opportunity, I caught the literary
bug as I would a cold. I have been writing since I could hold a pencil. And even before, if you
can believe some of the crayon scrawlings on my mother’s walls.

My greatest goal in life, from the time I was 11, was to be published. I wrote short stories,
articles, how-tos, poems and finally novels. One by one I sent them off, each accompanied with
the tiny little hope that - this time - I would be published.

And finally, with Carving Angels, it happened.

I have watched the episodes of a popular talent show where people get ‘discovered’ and you can,
quite literally, see their dreams coming true in front of you.

That is how I felt when I first looked at that contract offer from my first, real, publisher. As
though all of my dreams had just been realized.

It was quite a feeling. Have you ever seen an old woman turn handsprings? I’ll save you the
embarrassment by telling you it’s . . . quite a sight.

To actually have someone like my writing so much that they would publish me was only a little
lower than a miracle.

I will always be grateful.

The idea for Carving Angels, my first published novel, was conceived when I was looking at a
picture of Santa Claus, coloured by one of my Grandchildren. I remember thinking, “I wonder
who made his sleigh?” The rest of the story simply filled itself in as I wrote. Papa Adam and his
granddaughter, the irrepressible Amy, quietly stepped out of the shadows and onto the page. The
Elf community gathered around. Sometimes they moved so fast that I had a hard time keeping
up. Finally the other creatures who made their home at the North Pole pushed their way in,
demanding to be included.

The resulting story, of love and faith overcoming impossible obstacles, is simple, touching and
quite common. We see similar stories every day. But sometimes they just need to be pointed out.

Kris Kringle’s Magic came to me as my husband and I were camping with friends in the great
Canadian woods. As I shivered in my sleeping bag on one of northern Alberta’s warmest nights
of the year, I began to think about people who chose to make their homes in even colder climes.
Naturally, my thoughts turned to the most northern point I could think of. The North Pole. Okay,
what sane person would live there? And what could induce them to do so? It would have to be
something . . . momentous.

And it was.

Kris Kringle’s Magic is a story of courage amidst trying times. Of prejudice softened by
understanding. Ignorance overcome by the power of pure love. It tells of the boy, Kris, trying to
right wrongs in a world where Elves are no more than slaves. Of his struggles to feed the hungry.
Bring aid to the destitute and lonely. And with the help of his loving Rebecca, to change his
world.

It also explains how and why Kris, his wife, Rebecca, and their firm friends, the diminutive but
loving Elves, all end up living at the North Pole.

I love Christmas. I love writing about it. Writing about people who give without any notion of
receiving. People who care about their fellow man.

Not only is it an opportunity to celebrate the birth of the Greatest ever among us, but it is also
the time when good will abounds. I find it interesting that a date that commemorates the birth of
our Lord and Savior should resound with such peace and love. Over 2000 years after the actual
event.

This, to me, is significant. A sign of His greatness.

I don’t know about you, but I rather think my birthday will be long forgotten in 2000 years.

No matter how many books I write.




Diane Stringam Tolley
Author
Carving Angels
And
Kris Kringle’s Magic
By
Cedar Fort Publishing







2 comments:

Tammy Theriault said...

sounds like a good read! thanks for the recommendation

Diane Tolley said...

Oh thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This is absolutely wonderful!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Have a write kind of day!

Template by:

Free Blog Templates